Look at two centuries of significant events in the Illawarra, summarised chronologically

1791 March

Discovery of coal near Newcastle by escaped convicts. The first reported find of coal in the colony.


1796 March

Reference to coal included in a report by Flinders on his voyage to this area on the “Tom Thumb”


1797(a) Feb

The ship “Sydney Cove” on way from Capetown to Port Jackson storm-damaged and beached on Furneaux group of islands in Bass Strait. No loss of life.


1797(b) May

Five surviving men of the original twelve, who set out to reach Port Jackson, build a fire near Austinmer beach, using coal.


1797(c) August

Dr. George Bass confirms the presence of coal at Coalcliff as reported by the survivors of the ship ‘Sydney Cove’.



Charles Throsby organizes for his stock to be driven from Liverpool to the coast near Bulli.



Governor Macquarie refers to native name ‘Illawarra’ for area previously known as “Five Islands”



Visit to the Illawarra by Governor Macquarie.


1828 (a)

Australian Agricultural Company (AAC) negotiates a monopoly for coal mining in the Colony.



Samples of coal from Thirroul taken to Sydney by James Shoobert.



James Cunningham establishes a shipyard at Basin at Wollongong.



The Mount Keira Road laid out and constructed by convict labour.



An application made by Capt. Westmacott to mine coal at Bulli opposed by the AAC.



Rev. W. B. Clark, Geologist, commences examination of the South Coast coal measures.



The Australian Mining Co. reports intention to start coal mining. Opposed by the AAC..



First stage of Harbour Basin at Wollongong completed.



Another attempt to mine coal at Bulli made by Capt. Westmacott.



Reverend .W.B. Clark describes coal measures at Mt. Keira, Bellambi and Towradgi.



The AAC monopoly to mine coal in the Colony extinguished.



Coal mine opened at Mt. Keira by Capt. James Shoobert.



Coal delivered from the Mt Keira mine to be loaded on the “William the Fourth” at Wollongong Harbour..



Shoobert’s mine at Mt Keira closed..



Shoobert sells his Mt Keira mine to Mr. Henry Osborne.



Thomas Hale opens a mine near Woonona.



First coal shipped from Hales Mine to Bellambi Harbour – 11/11/1857.



Henry Osborne opens mine in the Bulli Seam on Mt Keira.



Second Bellambi mine opened by Taylor, Walker and Longmore.



Tramway from Osborne’s mine opens.



Tunnel driven at the site of the Bulli Mine and plans prepared for a tramway to Bellambi Point from Bulli.



Mt. Keira Tramway opened from mine incline to Belmore Basin.



Mount Pleasant Colliery opens on the escarpment behind Balgownie.



Hale’s mine at Woonona closes.



Bulli Mine opens, and a Jetty is erected at Sandon Point.



First coal shipped from Bulli mine to Sandon Point Jetty.



Horse drawn Tramway opened from Bulli Colliery to Sandon Point.



Taylor, Walker and Longmore declared insolvent.(Russell Vale mine etc…)



250ft (76ms) of Bulli Colliery Jetty at Sandon Point washed away.


1864 (c)

Decision to erect coal staiths at Wollongong Harbour.


1867 (a)

Bulli Colliery jetty at Sandon Point partly washed away, causing the deaths of four men.


1867 (b)

Steam locomotive (Built in NSW) replaces horses on Bulli to Sandon Point line.



Second extension of the Basin at Wollongong opened and named Belmore Basin by Countess Belmore wife of Governor of NSW. Coal staiths also completed.



Self acting incline haulage with ability to power underground haulages installed at Mt. Pleasant Colliery.



First coke made from ovens located adjacent to Wollongong Harbour.



The Jetty mine (later Coal Cliff Colliery) opened with tunnels driven in the Bulli Seam from the sea cliffs mine and a ship loading jetty erected.


1878 (a)

The North Bulli Coal and Iron Mining Company open a mine near Coledale.


1878 (b)

Jetty at Jetty Mine partly destroyed by heavy seas. Jetty re-built at a higher level.


1878 (c)

Steam loco used for haulage of coal on Mt. Keira Colliery Tramway.


1878 (d)

Pioneer Kerosene Shale mine closes at Mt Kembla



Underground Furnace and vertical shaft mine ventilation system installed at the Jetty mine.



Tee Jetty and steam powered Crane erected at Belmore Basin (Remnants remain)



Jetty mine jetty destroyed again. Caused mine closure for 4 months.


1882 (a)

Tunnel opened in the No2 or Balgownie seam at Bulli Colliery.


1882 (b)

Woonona Colliery reopened.


1882 (c)

Mount Kembla Colliery opens mine in the Bulli Seam.



Mount Kembla Coal and Oil Co. complete the construction of a jetty at Red Point (Port Kembla).


1884 (a)

North Illawarra No.1 Colliery opened by the North Illawarra Coal Mining Co. on site of the colliery started in 1878 by North Bulli Coal and Iron Co.


1884 (b)

North Illawarra No.2 Colliery opened by the North Illawarra Coal Mining Co.at Austinmer.


1884 (c)

Capt. Osborne proposes to open colliery under Mt. Corrimal.


1884 (d)

Steam locomotive haulage introduced from Mount Pleasant Colliery sidings to Belmore Basin.


1885 (a)

South Bulli Coal Mining Co. opens mine on old Russell Vale Colliery site.


1885 (b)

Broker’s Nose Colliery opens in the Bulli seam under the Broker’s Nose.


1886 (a)

Coke ovens opened near the Wollongong to Bulli Road at Corrimal.


1886 (b)

Government rail link from Waterfall to Clifton completed.


1886 (c)

Shaft sinking commenced for Metropolitan Colliery at Camp Creek Helensburgh


1886 (d)

North Mount Pleasant Tunnel opens, 2km north of original mine entry Tunnel


1887 (a)

Southern Coal Co. opens jetty at Red Point Port Kembla.


1887 (b)

Austinmer Colliery opens.


1887 (c)

Bulli Disaster – 81 miners killed. Methane Gas ignition resulting from shotfiring at the coal face in the Hill End District of the mine



Brokers Nose Colliery closed


1888 (a)

Bellambi Coal Co. established.


1888 (b)

Australian Coke making Co. (ACM) opens a coke making plant at Unanderra


1888 (c)

Work commences on the opening of a mine by the Southern Coal Company at Mt Kembla. Works included the construction of an incline rail line and jetty at Red Point Port Kembla.


1889 (a)

Abandoned Woonona mine reopened as the Model Colliery by the Bellambi Coal Company


1889 (b)

First 20 of total of 40 coke ovens in service at Sandon Point Bulli Coke works.


1899 (c)

Southern Coal Co takes up a lease to operate Corrimal Colliery.


1889 (d)

Corrimal coal shipped to Southern Coal Co. jetty at Port Kembla.


1890 (a)

South Bulli Colliery purchased by Ebenezer Vickery.


1890 (b)

Naked lights re-introduced into Bulli Colliery, having been withdrawn following the 1887 disaster.



Southern Coal Co. mine at Mt. Kembla abandoned.


1892 (a)

Coalcliff Colliery purchased by Ebenezer Vickery.


1892 (b)

Coke ovens at Wollongong Harbour demolished.


1892 (c)

South Clifton Colliery opened by Messrs. Saywell and Wilson.



Bulli Coal Co. opens a Salt Works at Bulli Point using slack coal as a fuel.



Two Salt Works plants opened at Austinmer.



Austinmer aka North Bulli aka North Illawarra No2 Colliery closes.



Unanderra Coke Works of (ACM) closed.



North Illawarra No1 Colliery closes at Coledale.


1899 (a)

(ACM) Unanderra coke ovens re-opened.


1899 (b)

Furnace ventilation system at the Jetty mine at Coalcliff discontinued.


1899 (c)

Ebenezer. Vickery purchased Mt Keira Colliery.


1899 (d)

Mt. Lyell Co. open a coke works at Port Kembla using Mt Kembla Colliery coal.


1899 (e)

Furnace shaft mine ventilation at Jetty mine replaced with a Schiele Mechanical Fan


1900 (a)

South Clifton installs coke ovens adjacent to railway.


1900 (b)

Excelsior No.1 Colliery opens.


1901 (a)

South Bulli Colliery sold by Ebenezer Vickery to Bellambi Coal Co.


1901 (b)

Coke works erected by BHP near Bellambi Railway Station using South Bulli Colliery Coal.


1901 (c)

Ebenezer Vickery purchases Mt. Keira Colliery from the Osborne family.


1902 (a)

Government takes over Southern Coal Co. and SCC Jetty to the North Bulli Coal Co.


1902 (b)

North Bulli Colliery opens (near Coledale Railway).


1902 (c)

Mount Kembla mine disaster – 95 men and boys killed. Methane gas flowing from a roof fall in an abandoned goaf area ignited by a naked lamp



150ft of jetty at Coalcliff Jetty mine lost in heavy seas.



Excelsior No.2 Colliery opens.


1906 (a)

North Bulli Colliery takes over lease of former Southern Coal Co. jetty.


1906 (b)

Upthrow fault, 91ft. (28ms) intersected the seam in the southern workings of the Brokers Nose Colliery. New mine entries established 1mile (1.6kms) to the south of earlier Brokers Nose entries. Colliery name changed to Corrimal-Balgownie.


1909 (a)

Owens’s Balgownie Colliery opens in 4ft. Balgownie Seam near Mt. Pleasant Colliery


1909 (b)

Bulli Collieries development of Bulli Seam delayed when basalt dyke intersected.


1910 (a)

Shaft and winder commissioned at Coalcliff Colliery and the underground workings of the abandoned Jetty mine and Coalcliff colliery, interconnected. The name Jetty mine abandoned.


1910 (b)

Owen’s Tongarra Colliery near Albion Park opened. Operated until early 1920’s


1911 (a)

The erection of coke ovens near Corrimal Railway Station signalled the final move from Unanderra by the Southern Coal Co.


1911 (b)

BHP announces intention to diversify (from metal smelting).



Government takes over the abandoned rail line of Southern Coal Co. between West Unanderra and Port Kembla.



Plant of Australian Coke-Making Co. (ACM) at Unanderra closed and dismantled


1912 (c)

Coalcliff jetty used for sea transport for the last time.


1912 ( d)

Tunnel entries driven in Bulli Seam at South Clifton to replace mine shaft entries.


1913 (a)

Light-house (beacon) installed by Bellambi Coal Co. at Bellambi jetty.


1913 (b)

Owen’s Balgownie Mine closes.


1915 (a)

Wongawilli Colliery opens at Wongawilli in the No3 Wongawilli Seam.


1915 (b)

BHP Coke Works at Bellambi taken over by Broken Hill Associated Smelters.



Wongawilli mine purchased by G&C. Hoskins and site construction commenced on coke ovens, surface plant and rail line to Brownsville.


1917 (a)

Coal cutters powered by electric motors withdrawn from Bulli Colliery due to concern about gas and dust.


1917 (b)

Construction of the initial 40 coke ovens under way at Wongawilli.14 Ovens in operation and coke being shipped to Hoskins Lithgow steel plant.


1917 (c)

Underground man transport system installed at South Bulli Colliery.


1917 (d)

Southern Coal Co. rail tracks from Unanderra to Port Kembla removed.


1918 (a)

Coalcliff mine Collier ‘UNDOLA’ disappears. Believed to have struck a German mine.


1918 (b)

Large land slip. Part of Brokers Nose collapses.


1920 (a)

The first coal washing plant on South Coast installed at Wongawilli Colliery along with 40 coke ovens.


1920 (b)

Elect. Powered coal cutting machines withdrawn from Mt. Kembla Colliery – concern about gas and dust.


1920 (c)

South Clifton Shaft mine closes.


1921 (a)

Coal washing plant in operation at Wongawilli Colliery (The first coal washery on the South Coast)


1921 (b)

Huddart Parker Ltd. takes over Metropolitan Colliery.



Mt. Kembla Ext. Colliery (previously Owen’s Balgownie) opens.



Bellambi Colliery closes.



Additional 40 coke ovens installed at Wongawilli Colliery.


1925 (a)

Bulli Colliery delayed when cindered coal in seam encountered.


1925 (b)

Outburst of CO2 seam gas brings down 200 tons of coal at Metropolitan Colliery. Two miners and a pit pony killed


1925 (c)

Eighty coke ovens now in service at Wongawilli Colliery


1925 (d)

Furnace ventilation replaced at Mt. Kembla with mechanical fan installed at No2 Shaft


1926 (a)

DC power supply replaced with an AC supply system at Coalcliff Colliery.


1926 (b)

Mount Lyell coke works at Port Kembla closes.



North Bulli Colliery closes.



Hoskins Iron & Steel commence erection of blast furnace at Port Kembla.



Bath and change house built at South Bulli Colliery.



Hoskins Iron & Steel create merger with Dorman Long Co.etc. to form A.I.S.



South Bulli Colliery surface to seam No.1 Shaft reaches the Bulli Seam.



Messrs. Parkes Tongarra mine (see Owen’s Tongarra – 1910) opens. Worked for about 2 years


1933 (a)

Mount Pleasant Colliery closes.


1933 (b)

Coal leases and abandoned plant of the South Kembla mine purchased by Hoskins Iron and Steel later Australian Iron and Steel



Mount Pleasant Colliery purchased by E. Vickery and sons, owners of Mt. Keira Mine.


1935 (a)

BHP Co. purchase major shareholding in A.I.S.


1935 (b)

First Arcwall coal cutter installed at South Bulli Colliery.


1935 (c)

A.I.S. purchase the Bulli Colliery.



Mount Kembla Extended Colliery closes.



A.I.S. purchase Mt. Keira Colliery and Mt. Pleasant Colliery from E.Vickery & Sons.


1937 (b)

Coal cutting machines installed and operated as part of the contract system of mining at the Wongawilli Colliery.


1938 (a)

Coke-works at Wongawilli closed – reopened in 1941 because of wartime demands.


1938 (b)

Mount Pleasant Mine power station rehabilitated to supply the Mount Keira Colliery via an overhead power line with a power supply to commence the installation of mechanized mining equipment underground. This supply was extended by an overhead power line to the mine ventilation fan at the No1 shaft to enable the steam power drive on the fan to be replaced with an electric motor drive system.



Jeffrey coal cutters introduced at Corrimal Colliery and operated as part of the contract system of mining.


1940 (a)

Tongarra Colliery purchased by Excelsior Collieries. (See Parkes Tongarra-1932).


1940 (b)

A high capacity overhead power line system erected to supply power to the Wongawilli, Mt Keira and Bulli Collieries from the Port Kembla Steelworks.



The mechanized system of loading coal introduced at Metropolitan Colliery using Joy Mnfct. model 8BU gathering arm, coal loading machines.


1941 (b)

Coke works at Wongawilli re-opened to support PK Steelworks WW2 production.


1941 (c)

Port Kembla No.2 Colliery opens on the escarpment South West of Unanderra.


1942 (a)

Kemira Colliery becomes the first colliery in Australia to operate a diesel loco underground.


1942 (b)

North Bulli Colliery re-opens.


1942 (c)

Bulli Jetty at Sandon Point last used.



Bulli Jetty at Sandon Point washed away in storm.



Coalcliff Colliery taken over by Commonwealth Commissioner.



A.I.S. purchases Mt. Kembla Colliery.


1946 (a)

Nebo Colliery opens with Jeffrey design track mounted cutters and loaders as the first mine to open, as a completely mechanised mine.


1946 (b)

Wongawilli Seam worked from the outcrop at Mt Keira (in addition to Bulli seam).


1946 (c)

Huntley Colliery commences as small privately owned mine.


1947 (a)

Track mounted Jeffrey cutting and loading machines introduced at Wongawilli Colliery.


1947 (b)

Scraper loaders installed at South Bulli Colliery.


1947 (c)

The 1944 Commonwealth Control applied to Coalcliff Colliery removed.


1948 (a)

Coke works and washery at Wongawilli finally closed.


1948 (b)

Excelsior No.1 closed.


1948 (c)

Work commences on driving the Kemira Tunnel from Kemira Valley. Project attracts a bitter union dispute between the Miners Federation and Australian Workers Union (AWU). Kemira Tunnel Arbitration Act was enacted and settled the matter in favour of the AWU.


1949 (a)

Contract mining at Bulli Colliery ceases.


1949 (b)

Contract mining at Mt Keira Colliery ceases.



The operation of the South Clifton Colliery taken over by Joint Coal Board.


1951 (a)

The Huntley Colliery purchased by Joint Coal Board.


1951 (b)

Samson cutters and Goodman duck-bill loaders introduced at Coalcliff Colliery.


1952 (a)

Nebo Colliery replaces track mounted Jeffrey design 29L coal cutters and L400 coal loaders with trackless Anderson and Boyes cutters and Joy 11BU Loaders.


1952 (b)

Continuous Miner model 4JCM put in to production at Wongawilli Colliery. This machine was one of first 3 CM’s to enter Australia. One machine was installed at Huntley Colliery and a third was delivered to Queensland.


1952 (c)

Mine ventilation fan installed at South Kembla Colliery on abandoned mine entries linked to the Wongawilli Colliery underground workings.



Last shipment of coal from Bellambi jetty by the South Bulli Colliery



Kemira Tunnel completed with the existing underground to surface endless rope incline haulage, screening plant, steam locomotives and coal haulage to government rail line at North Wollongong taken out of service.


1954 (b)

Electricity Commission of N.S.W. takes control of Huntley Colliery.


1954 (c)

Scraper loaders replaced by Jeffrey equipment at South Bulli Colliery.


1954 (d)

No.2 Ventilation shaft at South Bulli Colliery reaches coal.


1954 (e)

Duckbill loaders withdrawn for Coalcliff.


1954 (f)

Kembla Coal & Coke purchases Coalcliff Colliery.


1954 (g)

Inclined drift with belt conveyors replaces downcast shaft skip winder at Metropolitan Colliery


1954 (h)

South Clifton Colliery purchased by S & M Fox.


1954 (i)

Conveyor belts replace endless rope haulage at South Clifton Colliery.



Kemira Tunnel completed.


1955 (a)

Endless rope incline haulage replaced by friction winder and 4 x 15 ton wagons at Corrimal Colliery.


1955 (b)

Continuous miners introduced at South Clifton, Bulli & Kemira Colliery


1955 (c)

Bellambi jetty washed away.


1955 (d)

Mt. Keira Colliery renamed Kemira Colliery.


1957 (a)

Darkes Forest Colliery ventilation/man access shaft, commissioned.


1957 (b)

250 Volt D.C. cable reel shuttle cars introduced at Nebo Colliery.



Bulli Seam found to exist in a locally thickened area at Wongawilli Colliery.


1959 (a)

Incline friction hoist and 4x 15ton wagons replaced with a decline belt conveyor at Wongawilli Colliery.


1959 (b)

Contract mining ceased at South Bulli Colliery.


1959 (c)

Contract mining ceased at Coalcliff Colliery.


1959 (d)

Site work commences at Appin Colliery to sink two incline drifts and two shafts.



Conveyor belt fire at Port Kembla No.2 Colliery.



Production from Bulli Seam commences at Wongawilli colliery.


1962 (a)

Excelsior No.2 colliery closed.


1962 (b)

Appin Colliery commences production.


1963 (a)

Central haulage System from Wongawilli and Tongarra seams installed at Huntley Colliery.


1963 (b)

First fully mechanised retreat Longwall mining system in Australia installed at Coalcliff Colliery in February 1963.Withdrawn in December 1963.


1964 (a)

A.I.S. takes over Corrimal Colliery.


1964 (b)

Port Kembla No.2 Colliery closes


1964 (c)

Coal loader at Inner Harbour Port Kembla commissioned


1964 (d)

First coal contract with Japan completed by South Bulli Colliery.


1965 (a)

Corrimal and Kemira Colliery workings connected by an underground above seam storage bin to enable coal mined in Corrimal to be transported to the Kemira Valley coal handling plant.


1965 (b)

A second fully mechanised retreat longwall mining system installed at Coalcliff Colliery in Nov.1964.Unsuccessful and withdrawn in August 1965.


1965 (c)

AIS purchases Metropolitan Colliery


1965 (d)

First successful fully mechanised retreat longwall mining system installed at Kemira Colliery.


1965 (e)

No3 Ventilation Shaft completed at South Bulli.


1965 (f)

Fully mechanised retreat longwall mining system installed at South Bulli Colliery.



Huntley Colliery supplies first export order using a temporary washery.



AIS opens Tom Thumb Colliery at the Bulli seam outcrop in Kemira Valley.


1968 (a)

AIS installs a mechanised mining system at Mt Kembla Colliery using front end loaders.


1968 (b)

Coal preparation plant installed at Huntley Colliery.


1968 (c)

The Dombarton Colliery opens at West Dapto.( Equipment transferred to Yellow Rock Colliery in 1972)



Retreat longwall mining unit installed at Appin Colliery.


1970 (a)

Two additional retreat longwall mining units installed at South Bulli. Off shore ship loading facility at South Clifton proposed by Clutha. Proposal abandoned in 1971


1970 (b)

Corrimal No3 Shaft Bulk hoist skip winder commissioned. This coal haulage system replaced the earlier Corrimal to Kemira Collieries underground storage bin, belt conveyor transport system.


1971 (a)

Shortwall mining system using continuous miner and shuttle cars installed at Corrimal Colliery. Sinking of No 1 Shaft completed at Wongawilli Colliery


1971 (b)

Tom Thumb Colliery closes after extracting all the coal reserves available in the mines leases.


1971 (c)

Darkes Forest mine opens to mine the western leases of the Coalcliff Colliery. The mine workings remaining linked for materials supply and coal handling services.


1972 (a)

Mine ventilation fan installed on No1 Shaft at Wongawilli Colliery.


1972 (b)

South Clifton and North Bulli Collieries closed by Clutha.


1972 (c)

Retreat longwall mining unit at Kemira Colliery ceases production.


1972 (d)

Shaft sinking commences at Coalcliff Colliery.



South Clifton and North Bulli Collieries purchase from Clutha by a new owner. North Bulli reopened for a short time.



Production commences at Westcliff Colliery Appin


1977 (a)

Underground connection completed at Kemira Colliery from the Bulli seam to the Wongawilli seam and the Wongawilli seam to the Kemira Tunnel. Mining commences in the Wongawilli seam.


1977 (b)

The No4 Ventilation shaft reaches the Bulli seam at South Bulli.


1979 (a)

Cordeaux Colliery west of Mt Keira commences production.


1979 (b)

Underground explosion at Appin Colliery kills 14 men.


1980 (a)

Surface methane drainage plant commences operation at Westcliff Colliery.


1980 (b)

Tower Colliery at Wilton commences production.


1981 (a)

Surface methane drainage plant commences operation at Appin Colliery.


1981 (b)

No5 Ventilation shaft completed at South Bulli Colliery.


1982 (a)

Retreat longwall mining unit installed at Westcliff Colliery.


1982 (b)

Pilot 1.2 MW methane/air gas turbine installed for electric power generation at Westcliff Colliery.


1984 (a)

South Bulli Colliery commences retrenchment of labour.


1984 (b)

15MW ASEA methane/air gas turbine electricity generating plant installed at Westcliff Colliery.



Corrimal Colliery closed


1986 (a)

15MW Mitsubishi methane/air gas turbine electric generating plant installed Appin Colliery


1986 (b)

Corrimal Colliery abandoned workings linked to Cordeaux colliery



Bulli, Avon and Yellow Rock Collieries close. Approval sought by local business man to develop a Tourist mine at Corrimal Colliery. Some preliminary mining carried out. Idea abandoned.



Longwall mining commences at Tower Colliery



Huntley Colliery closes. Methane Drainage plant installed at Tower Colliery



A sudden outburst of gas at South Bulli Colliery kills three men Kemira Colliery closed. Coalcliff Colliery closed Cordeaux achieves a record production for any mine in Australia.


1992 (a)

The Shell Oil Company acquires ownership of the South Bulli Colliery from Austin & Butta


1992 (b)

A coal preparation plant installed at Appin Colliery


1992 (c)

The Elouera Colliery created from an amalgamation of Kemira, Nebo and Wongawilli Collieries


1993 (a)

Cordeaux the first mine in Australia to achieve accreditation to Quality Assurance Standard AS 3902


1993 (b)

BHP spins off its Long Products division to create a standalone company One Steel



The Thin Seam Mining Company abandons their mining of the No2 Balgownie Seam at South Bellambi.



BHP merges with global resource giant Billiton to form BHPbilliton. BHP Steel becomes a standalone company.



The development of the Dendrobium colliery commences



The Bellpac Company ceases mining at South Bulli.



BHP Steel adopts the name Bluescope Steel


2005 (a)

The Dendrobium colliery commences regular production. BHP Billiton Illawarra Coal Collieries close Elouera Colliery Gujarat NRE purchase the South Bulli and Avondale Collieries Delta Mining commence the contract mining of the Elouera colliery for Illawarra Coal and rename the mine Delta 1 Colliery


2005 (b)

The Seacliff Bridge opens for road traffic.



Gujarat NRE Company purchase the Elouera colliery from BHPBilliton Illawarra Coal.



Gujarat NRE commence mining at Elouera colliery and rename the mine Wongawilli Colliery.